DEAN OF THE COLLEGE OF NURSING AND HEALTH
Madonna University, in Michigan (between Detroit and Ann Arbor) invites applications for a full-time (twelve-month) position in the College of Nursing and Health. The Dean reports to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Administration.
The Dean is responsible for overseeing all matters related to the academic programs offered by the College of Nursing and Health: curriculum development; staffing (recruitment, hiring, workload, evaluation, and professional development); student complaints/grievances; budgeting and planning; program assessment; and resource development/grant writing.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provides leadership in the planning, development, and effective implementation of academic programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Convenes faculty meetings for the College of Nursing and Health, chairs the meetings, supervises deliberations, and responds to advice. Represents the College of Nursing and Health on the Academic Council, Curriculum, Educational Policy & Assessment Committee, Institutional Standing Committee on Planning and Mission Effectiveness, Graduate School Committee, and other relevant committees of the University.
- Conducts cyclical review of academic programs and presents recommendations for continuous improvement, including preparing for and conducting review for professional accreditation by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
- Oversees publication of the promotional materials and monitors marketing and student recruitment plans for the College of Nursing and Health.
- Develops, recommends, and monitors the College of Nursing and Health budgets.
- Promotes effective student advisement and ensures consistent adherence to policies published in student handbooks and University bulletins, including College and University grievance procedures.
- Provides leadership in advocating for the traditional hallmarks of excellence in higher education by encouraging and facilitating high standards of academic quality through appointment of appropriately credentialed faculty, admission of qualified students, and high expectations for student achievement and program assessment.
- Monitors retention and graduation rates for programs offered by the College of Nursing and Health and develops strategies to address concerns.
- Foster cooperation, coordination, and understanding among the departments of the college with the other colleges/schools and offices of the University, and with the University administration.
- Completes other projects as assigned by the Provost or President.
- Supervisory responsibilities: Directly supervises full- and part-time faculty and staff in the College of Nursing and Health. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Doctoral degree in nursing or related field required.
- Minimum of 5 years of full-time university teaching.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including ability to work cooperatively with facultyand departmental staff and students.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise initiative, independent judgment, tact and diplomacy.
- Positive service-oriented attitude and follow-through to plan, organize, and manage adiverse workload with attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability with successful grant writing.
The above statements reflect the general responsibilities of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in this position.
Candidates should submit a letter of interest, up-to-date curriculum vitae, and the names of three references to:
Angela Sherry, Academic Contracts and Services Specialist
36600 Schoolcraft Road
Livonia, MI 48150
Madonna University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer
posted october 2013