ELNEC-Core was the first of the ELNEC curricula to be developed, specifically addressing end-of-life needs of adults. It debuted in January 2001 in Pasadena, CA. In the first three years of the project, thanks to funding from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF), over 900 baccalaureate and associate degree nursing faculty attended a national ELNEC-Core train-the-trainer course. This represented 65% of baccalaureate nursing programs nationally. From one-year post-course data, it is estimated that these 900 nursing faculty used ELNEC-Core to train 45,000 nursing students. In turn, continuing education providers and staff development educators attended ELNEC-Core within the first 3 years of the project. According to the data received from one-year post-course surveys, these nursing educators provided education at various levels within the organization and in diverse clinical settings to 11,200 nurses.
Who Should Attend ELNEC-Core?
- Undergraduate and graduate nursing faculty
- CE providers and staff development educators
- Hospice nurses
- Homecare nurses
- APRN/staff nurses working in acute care settings (i.e. oncology, medical/surgical, palliative care settings, etc)
- Other members of the interdisciplinary team are welcome to attend with the understanding that the curriculum is written by nurses for nurses.
2017 ELNEC-Core Courses
- April 25-26, Savannah, GA: ELNEC-Core and ELNEC-Pediatric Palliative**
- June 7-8, Denver, CO: ELNEC Summit & June 9 for an Optional Day on "How to Teach ELNEC"*
- July 11-12, Omaha, NE: ELNEC-Core**
- September 27-28, Minneapolis, MN: ELNEC Summit & September 29 for an Optional Day on "How to Teach ELNEC"*
- October 6-7, Niagara Falls, NY: ELNEC-Core**
*Summit: ELNEC-Core, Pediatric Palliative Care, Geriatric, Critical Care, and APRN train-the-trainer courses are held simultaneously. Choose one course to attend.
**Co-sponsored between the National ELNEC Project and the Hospice and Palliative Nurses Association (HPNA)
Something new for 2017! An additional ½ day of education on how to teach and use the ELNEC resources will be available following each of the ELNEC Summits (June 9 & September 29). This is optional.