ELNEC-For Veterans

ELNEC-For Veterans

Share |

In 2010, The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) awarded the City of Hope a three-year contract to educate nurses on how to provide better palliative care for Veterans with life-threatening illnesses.  ELNEC-For Veterans was developed to meet the unique palliative care needs of Veterans and to guide nurses in orchestrating this care.  More than 54,000 American Veterans – mostly from World War II and Korea -- die each month, and the Department of Veterans Affairs Hospice and Palliative Care Initiative (VAHPC) is trying to improve hospice and palliative care for them. Given that the number of Vietnam-era Veterans over 65 years of age will continue to grow through 2034, so too will the need for hospice and palliative care in the VA system.  The expertise gained at these courses promises to improve the quality of palliative care for thousands of Veterans in 153 Department of Veterans’ Affairs Medical Centers across the U.S. To date, five national train-the-trainer courses have been held across the US with 620 nurses and other members of the interdisciplinary team in attendance, representing over 200 VA facilities (i.e. medical centers, clinics, CLC’s, etc).  Community partners with VA (i.e. homecare, hospice, etc) are also encouraged to attend.  A new curriculum, ELNEC-For Veterans/Critical Care, has been developed to assist nurses working in critical care settings.  Only 4% of Veterans die in VA-facilities.  Those working in non-VA facilities care for the other 96% of Veterans.  Nurses and other healthcare providers working in non-VA facilities must be trained in caring for the unique needs of Veterans.

National ELNEC-For Veteran Train-the-Trainer CourseS

National ELNEC-For Veterans courses have concluded. Those interested in attending a course may attend ELNEC-Core. Advanced Practice Nurses are encouraged to attend ELNEC-APRN.  For further information on these courses, go to www.aacn.nche.edu/ELNEC.

ELNEC-For veterans Trainers from Your City/ State


ELNEC Fact Sheet

Outlines all the various ELNEC Projects (i.e. Pediatric Palliative Care, Geriatric, Critical Care, ELNEC-For Veterans, and Public Hospitals).


2011 ELNEC Award Winner

Read about the outstanding work of ELNEC trainers throughout the world.


Hospice Education Network

Looking for ELNEC-For Veterans on-line via video streaming?  Register your staff to view ELNEC-For Veterans, presented by national faculty.  This is for training only and not for train-the-trainer purposes.  
(Note:  ELNEC-Critical Care  will be available on HEN by May 15, 2012)

Further Questions? Check out the FAQ Section.