ELNEC’s primary aim is to educate nurses to improve end-of-life care. While initial efforts, launched in 2000, were focused in the United States, many ELNEC trainers have had opportunities to travel internationally and provide this education to nurses and other healthcare providers throughout the world. Currently, ELNEC trainers and faculty have traveled to six of the seven continents, representing over 77 countries. Many trainers have provided ELNEC educational courses, while others have gone as consultants to work with educators, health administrators, and community leaders to improve care of the dying in their countries. It is estimated that over 5,250 nurses and other healthcare providers have received ELNEC training internationally. Some are working on translating ELNEC into other languages and adapting it to increase the relevance to other cultures. For example, ELNEC has already been translated into Russian where nursing administrators and faculty are using the curriculum in Eastern Europe. ELNEC is also translated in Spanish (Core and Pediatric Palliative Care versions) and is being widely disseminated in Mexico, Central America, and parts of South America. Lastly, ELNEC-Japanese, ELNEC-Korean, ELNEC-German, and ELNEC-Armenian are available.
Examples of world-wide ELNEC dissemination by trainers since 2010 are:
- March 2010: ELNEC was presented in Argentina at a national palliative care conference.
- July 2010: ELNEC-Geriatric was presented in Seoul, Korea with over 200 participants.
- February 2011: ELNEC-International was presented at the Society of Oncology and Cancer Research of Nigeria (SOCRN) in Ibadan, Nigeria.
- September 2011: St. Petersburg, Russia—two ELNEC courses presented
- October 2011: Budapest, Hungary—ELNEC-Pediatric Palliative Care course presented
- October 2011: Bucharest, Romania—ELNEC course presented and participated in Sharing and Networking: Enhancing Palliative Care Compliance to International Standards, an Eastern Europe Conference where nurses, physicians, social workers, and clergy attended from 19 various countries
- October 2011: Cherkassy, Ukraine—ELNEC course presented
- November 2011: Belize—ELNEC course presented and home/hospital/hospice visits made with various staff.
- January 2012: Czech Republic—ELNEC course presented
- February 2012: Mexico—Joint ELNEC and EPEC courses presented to 200 nurses and physicians
- March 2012: Armenia—ELNEC course presented and home visits were made
- June 2012: Malaysia—Two ELNEC courses presented to practicing nurses and those teaching in Schools of Nursing
- July 2012: Brasov, Romania—Presented at Eastern European conference and assisted with developing palliative care competencies for nurses and doctors
For more information on ELNEC trainers’ efforts to disseminate ELNEC internationally and for a listing of efforts by country, click here.
Outlines all the various ELNEC Projects (i.e. Pediatric Palliative Care, Geriatric, Critical Care, ELNEC-For Veterans, and Public Hospitals).
Read about the outstanding work of ELNEC trainers throughout the world.